Saturday, February 18, 2006

So what DID give me food poisoning?

Yes I stole that title from Deeevo. I find it ironic that Im laid low in a European country with a stomach bug from something - either a bad yoghurt (the boys today told me to be careful which brands you buy) or the leftover pastry from yesterday (highly suss although it was a really nice shop in Evora) or just an overload of good (i.e. rich) food - not through eating something weird and wonderful in Japan or drinking til dawn last night (didn't even have one!). Whatever it was I couldnt eat anything at lunch today (will spare you the gory details) and have spent the afternoon between bed and the couch (thankfully not the toilet anymore). Note I have to word this to balance seeking attention with avoiding being fussed over. I mean I already have my head fieldy ringing me every couple of hours to make sure Im getting better. And I dont want to write one of those "Im sick so Im not going to write anything but look at me!!" posts.

So yes good food. Thats how you celebrate the end of a drill programme - pastrys in the afternoon on the rig, bread, sausages, beer and wine after work, lunches of bread, egg and coriander soup with chicken on the side (and wine), half a pig grilled in Evora yesterday (with wine) and today wouldve been the other half of the pig (with wine) if I could stomach it. That is the flip side to all the pain you go through running a project e.g. my post earlier in the week which those in my job will recognise as the usual shit you go through - just it always happens all at once!

So now the couch once again on a Saturday night (aint my life glamorous?!). Portuguese TV is helping me through with Spurs-Liverpool reruns, Elektra, the news, "Rat Wars", The Price Is Right PT-style (called Dinheiro na mao or Money in the Hand) and a strange Harrison Ford movie Ive never seen where he's a Russian sub commander. MTV has Madonna (yes ABBA covers are that popular) and Beyonce (better!). Thank f*k I just found Futurama.

Therefore being bored Im playing with all the weird and wonderful things on the internet. I have plugged it already but I am in awe of
Pandora - pick a band and it makes a playlist full of similar music from around the world. No longer do you have to take a punt on import CDs talked up by NME/Rolling Stone which turn out to sound completely different to their description. Or you can compare and contrast Antena Tres and Triple J - both independent state-owned youth-focussed broadcasters.

Other stuff to play with - you could
create a map of the world and see how much of a world traveller you are. I thought I was OK but only have managed 4% of the world :(

Notice that Africa and South America are glaringly absent. Mind you so is Asia.

To skew the odds in my favour I focussed on Europe. Up to 15%.
Theres a lot out there who will do better than me on this. Notice I've managed to go all around Spain and not visit it. Hmm. That should change in the next 6 months. As should the lack of visits to Eastern Europe or the Austro-Hungarian empire. Scandanavia's another big hole when you look at Europe like this.

I have to win one of these so I zoomed in on England. I'm supposed to link here "I've visited the counties in yellow. Which counties have you visited?". Go on. You know you want to. I mean you might even beat me? In reality I cheated since I harrassed my parents for details of the trips I did as a kid to make sure I almost filled one of these bloody things!!! Part of me believes if you can't remember being there it shouldnt count.


County map


made by marnanel
map reproduced from Ordnance Survey map data by permission of the Ordnance Survey.
© Crown copyright 2001.

No comments: