Saturday, October 29, 2005

Lisboa

Lisbon is beautiful. I might not have emphasised its good points in my first post. Narrow cobbled streets, pavements mosaiced/cobbled/tiled with limestone (almost looks like marble flooring!), even tiling/mosaics on the outside of the old apartment buildings, lots of squares with statues, impressive looking churches/monasteries/buildings! As you can tell I have no idea what half these places are (I forgot to read the lonely planet guide to Lisbon!). Got good weather too as I mentioned previously.


Praca da Comerciale - the wine tasting is on the other side!
The Baixo (centre of town) - the only part of Lisbon built on a grid as it had to be rebuilt after an earthquake
Rio Tejo
Alfama (old part of town) - tiled walls and the ever-present washing

No comments: