Thursday, May 17, 2007

Druid homes

Dolmens are megalithic constructions though opinion is divided whether they are tombs, places of worship or simply shelters/grain stores (perhaps all of these at once!). They weren't built for fun though - the capstones weigh over 100kg (for the geos they're granite slabs/boulders). Portugal has several well preserved "antas" including the "famous" Anta do Zambujeiro. My parents, my brother and I have all tried to find this "landmark" on more than one occasion without no luck. It shouldn't be so hard as there's a nice big signpost on the main road pointing down a dirt road. The only problem is that this road leads to a farm and there is no sign directing you to stop or turn off. I wish this was unusual but in all times I've followed these signs looking for ruins/dolmens I've only found one - at Sao Geraldo (near Montemor). Even then Ali and I stopped at a mound of dirt and convinced ourselves that this might be "it"!!!! Maybe there are so many in the Alentejo the locals don't consider them a novelty?! Luckily we kept going though - I think the "two-storey chamber" is unusual for a dolmen but I'm no expert.

No I am not mentioning the flowers

No comments: