Tuesday, October 10, 2006

RIP: Gloopy thing

RIP Gloopy thing

Those who have been to my desk or my house over the last years will have met the gloopy thing, a timer which mimics diapirism where less dense material rises through more dense. Of course I only knew that when I did a geology course, and then an honours thesis on granites. I actually bought it in Sydney in 1993 (unlucky 13 years ago!) during a high school orchestra trip because of its electric blue colour and viscous texture and have had it ever since. Countless people played with it, countless nights its kept me company while studying, countless times its hypnotised me with as air bubble after air bubble rises (and gloop after blue gloop falls out the bottom). Until last week when I knocked off my desk and smashed it, the day after my laptop's power cord shorted out. I guess its one of those times and I should take comfort from the fact it lasted years longer than Az's.

Edit: I decided to give the gloopy thing its own post. It was only fitting. Plus I'm still not sure whether I won't delete yesterdays post at some stage

No comments: